Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Author Interview: John Herrick "From the Dead"

About the novel:

A preacher's son, a father in hiding, a guilty heart filled with secrets: When Jesse Barlow escaped to Hollywood, he hungered for fame--but eleven years of failure result in a drug-induced suicide attempt. Revived at death's doorstep, Jesse returns to his Ohio hometown to make amends with his preacher father, a former love, and Jesse's own secret son. But Jesse's renewed commitment becomes a baptism by fire when his son's advanced illness calls for a sacrifice--one that could cost Jesse the very life he regained. 

A story of mercy, hope, and second chances, From The Dead captures the human spirit with tragedy and joy.

Interview:

How would you describe “From the Dead”?

The novel is a story of second chances, relationships and the human heart. It tracks the depths to which an individual’s life can spiral and offers a glimpse at the heights of victory that can follow. From day one, my goal was to create a story that is both honest and real.

What inspired you to write this story?

It boiled down to a what-if scenario. Driving home from work one evening, Dusty Springfield’s “Son of a Preacher Man” came on the radio. I never cared much for the song, but for the first time I paid attention to the lyrics about a straight-laced preacher’s son who falls in love with a girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Questions rose up inside me: “What if it were the opposite situation? What if the preacher’s son had hit rock bottom?”  Details started to pour forth, and by the time I got home, I spent 30 minutes trying to get them on paper. The story grew from there, usually with scene ideas coming to me in the car. Obviously, the story and song ended up with nothing in common.

What is your favorite line in “From the Dead”?

“Jesse felt a cleansing occur, followed by an acceptance, as the enormous, soothing arms of God wrapped around him. How long had it been since he’d felt so protected?”
    
What inspired you to become a writer?

In third grade, I finished an assignment early and looked for something to keep myself busy. I noticed the kid next to me writing a short story, and it looked like fun. I tried it out and fell in love with writing. From that moment on, I spent all my spare time writing new short stories. Two years later, I decided to become a novelist when I grew up.

Who is your favorite author? Why?

I’d love to say it’s a classic figure like Dickens or Shakespeare. But in my case, my favorite author is John Grisham. I prefer his earlier books over his latter ones, but each of his novels draws me in. Years ago, as a teenager, I’d stopped writing fiction and considered my childhood dream of becoming a novelist. When I was 18, I read The Firm, followed by The Client. Something stirred in me and reignited the initial desire to return to my original dream. When I see Grisham’s name on a book, I see the name of the person who helped inspire me afresh.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Never, ever give up. Keep chipping away, bit by bit.

What are you working on now?

I’m in the pre-planning stage of my next novel. I’ve decided on what it’s about. Now I plan to spend the next month or so letting it marinate inside me, allowing individual scenes to pop up. Usually I end up with a fluffy stack of handwritten notes on napkins—but hey, whatever works!

Finish the sentence with as much or as little detail as you’d like-You’ll like this book if you like…

…being reminded that you always a second chance and an opportunity for a miracle.


To learn more about John and his novels visit his Blog or Website.