Friday, August 26, 2011

Author Interview: Shelley Workinger "Solid Series"


  Shelley Workinger author of "Solid" is here to talk about her first novel in a new and exciting young adult series.

How would you describe Solid?
The simplest synopsis would be: genetically-altered teens brought to secret Army campus develop super-abilities, find love, and uncover conspiracy. The greater message of the series as a whole is about finding yourself and your place in the world.

What inspired the idea for Solid?
I first dreamed the romantic scene that is now Chapter 12. I have wild and vivid dreams regularly, but my thoughts kept coming back to that one until I finally sat down and explored the idea by backing out of that scene and developing how those two people could end up in that setting.

Did any of the characters surprise you while writing?
Yes. Someone who is hardly mentioned in Solid steps up as a major player in Settling. As the new plot evolved, I realized how much I'd always liked that (practically non-) character.

Which book(s) have had the biggest influence on your writing?
Probably James Patterson's Alex Cross novels because you really feel like you know Alex and his family without ever being inundated with history and background. I'd like my characters to come to life so easily and naturally.

Which fictional character most resembles you?
Scurry from Who Moved My Cheese?

What book do you wish you had written?
The Harry Potter series, so I could've known how the story would unfold! I didn't read the series until the final installment was released because I heard from other fans that the wait between books was almost unbearable. 

If you could save one character from “Solid” in the event of a disaster, which one would it be? Why?
That's tough! I feel like the core group comes together because they are each one vital part of the greater whole. If I HAD to choose, it would be Clio. Or Garrett, Alexis, or Jack :)

What books are currently on your bedside table?
A Reliable Wife, A Continual Feast, and Switch. And of course I'm waiting for Mockingjay to come in.

What are you working on now?
Settling - the sequel to Solid.  Since Solid took care of most of the exposition for the series, the characters are ready to move forward in the second book.

Finish the sentence with as much or as little detail as you’d like-You’ll like this book if you like…
...the intrigue of Fringe but don't need the gore.

Thanks for dropping by and sharing "Solid" with us today, Shelly. We'd love to have you back anytime.


"Settling" is the second installment of Shelley's series and is currently available at you local library. If you're ready for an exciting adventure then this is the story for you.